|CTG Overview||CTG stands for Committed To Good. With an ethical approach at the heart of all that we do, it is a description that makes us proud. Respect for the fundamental human rights of our staff, and those our staff encounter, is a cornerstone of our values. We strive for gender equality, inclusion and diversity, providing fair and equal opportunities for all. We take a zero tolerance approach to corruption and stay true to local labour laws and all local statutory requirements.|
In operation since 2006, today we are honoured to serve clients in 15 fragile and conflict-affected states assisting with disaster relief, peace building, humanitarian aid and development programmes through our specialised recruitment, HR management and operational services.
|Overview of position|
The OTI funded SSI project in Somalia is primarily a community based, small grants initiative implemented in close coordination with the donor, with communities in priority areas & with all levels of govt., particularly newly formed district administrations & regional state institutions. The overall objective of the program is to support the political transition of Somalia towards a functioning & stabilized federal state through activities that promote good governance, consolidation of the federal structure & a receptive environment to respond to emerging political contingencies.
Under the overall supervision of the Deputy Chief of Party in Mogadishu & the direct supervision of the Strategic Communication & Media Officer, the successful candidate will be responsible for assisting the, coordination, execution, & monitoring of small grants, specifically media & communication related in South West State Administration.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Assist the Strategic Communication & Media Officer in grant implementation, monitoring & grant proposal writing.
- Assist the Strategic Communication & Media Officer in grant operations & reporting.
- Prepare & maintain an updated electronic & hard copy of all grant documents in close coordination with the grants team.
- Prepare weekly grants report on the implementation of grants in his/her area of responsibility in accordance with the priorities established by the project’s Senior Management Team (SMT).
- Coordinate media activities & press releases for all grants, in collaboration with SSI Strategic Communication & Media Officer in Nairobi.
- Work closely with the logistics, finance, procurement & grants teams to ensure implementation timely procurement & delivery, payments for goods & services.
- Represent the SSI project in various forums & to discuss coordinated responses to recovery & transition initiatives.
- Assist the Communication unit to collect grant-related information for weekly reporting purposes.
- Assist in monitoring of communication activities for the SSI project.
- Assist during training & workshops to help all SSI staff understand strategic communication plans at the activity level.
- Assist in developing communication products e.g. short videos, documentaries, success stories, snapshots, for the program.
- Assist in discerning lessons learned & documenting obstacles/challenges & resulting mitigating measures.
- Assist in grant activity closure process.
This role works under the overall supervision of the Deputy Chief of Party in Mogadishu & the direct supervision of the Strategic Communication & Media Officer.
- University Degree in Journalism, Mass Communications or a related field.
- A demonstrated record of field-based project management experience in positions of increasing responsibility, preferably in Somalia.
- Thorough knowledge of United States Agency for International Development (USAID) programming & standard requirements, specifically with Stabilization Project in Somalia is an asset.
- Three years’ professional experience, a majority of which will have been in emergency & post-crisis settings preferably in Somalia, with experience in community-based communication activities & working with media.
- Demonstrated experience in the field of media relations in Somalia.
- Well proven & demonstrated experience in developing communication strategies & supporting media activities for large events.
- Well proven & demonstrated capacity & experience with social media channels.
- Teamwork: Develops & promotes effective collaboration within & across units to achieve shared goals & optimize results.
- Delivering results: Produces & delivers quality results in a service-oriented & timely manner, is action oriented & committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing & sharing knowledge: Continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge & innovate.
- Accountability: Takes ownership for achieving the organization’s priorities & assumes responsibility for own action & delegated work.
- Communication: Encourages & contributes to clear & open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring & motivational way.
- Ability to develop clear messaging & visual materials for large events.
- Thorough knowledge & demonstrated capacity to understand & analyze the national, regional & local political context & govt. structures in Somalia.
- Excellent communication & writing skills, ability to analyse complex problems & identify & convey clear, rapid, solutions.
- Effective resource management skill, ability to work with a large pool of staff in a dynamic, operational program environment, ability to develop & maintain budgetary discipline across a wide range of grant activities.
- Ability to engender group involvement, team spirit & participation, must be able to lead teams effectively in order to achieve the desired goals.
- Ability to work effectively & harmoniously with colleagues from varied cultures & professional backgrounds, exhibiting a high degree of sensitivity toward other cultures & dedication to the permission of inter-ethnic cooperation, peace-building & tolerance, demonstrated gender awareness & gender sensitivity.
- Ability to exhibit discretion in the conduct of professional duties. Personal commitment, drive for results & adaptability in the workplace as required by changing program conditions & requirements. Ability to work long hours under difficult conditions while maintaining security awareness.
- Willingness to uphold & enforce professional standards of conduct, in accordance with relevant donor requirements.
- Demonstrated proficiency with MS Office applications, including Excel, PowerPoint. Good knowledge of information technology & proficiency in MS Office applications especially Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Publisher & SharePoint.
- Inclusion & respect for diversity: Respects & promotes individual & cultural differences, encourages diversity & inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity & transparency: Maintains high ethical standards & acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules & standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: Demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent & committed manner & exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
This role does not have any team management responsibility.