Our client is an operational arm of the UN, supporting the successful implementation of its partners' peace building, humanitarian & development projects around the world. Mandated as a central resource of the UN, they provide sustainable project management, procurement & infrastructure services to a wide range of govt., donors & UN organizations. They support the successful implementation of its partners’ peace building, humanitarian & development projects around the world. Their mission is to serve people in need by expanding the ability of the UN, govt. & other partners to manage projects, infrastructure & procurement in a sustainable & efficient manner.
Our client is a division of the Office of Rule of Law and Security Institutions (OROLSI) in the Department of Peacekeeping Operations (DPKO) & they are mandated by the UNGA (RES/68/72) to ensure an effective, proactive & coordinated response to the problem posed by a wide range of explosive hazards. Legislative mandates also recognize the technical expertise of our client in responding to threats posed by unsecured & unsafe conventional weapons & ammunition stockpiles. As an office within DPKO, our client supports peacekeeping & special political missions in accordance with Security Council mandates.
Our client provides explosive hazard management capacities, including mitigation, to AMISOM as part of a logistical support package. Non-lethal tactical advice and analysis is delivered by their technical advisers located in each AMISOM Sector Headquarters & at AMISOM Force Headquarters, who support AMISOM planning & operations. Our client support includes both enabling (“operate in spite of IEDs”) & response (“defeat the device”). They also supports the Federal Govt. of Somalia, by contributing to the Comprehensive Approach to Security (CAS) touching to most of the strands supporting AMISOM, the Somali Police Force, Somali Explosive Management Authority & National Security Adviser, community recovery & extension of state authority & prevention & countering of violent extremism. Background Information – Peace & Security Center (PSC):
The Peace & Security Center (PSC) is a principal service provider in the field of mine action with the UN mine action agency & other UN agencies, govt's. of mine affected countries & other mine action partners. The Center is responsible to administer, provide support & oversight of the day-to-day management of the project field offices, both according to the client requirements & in line with UN rules & regulations. It is headed by the Center Director who has the overall authority & accountability for the performance of the PSC on behalf of its clients.Background Information for the Position
The Federal Government of Somalia (FGS) hereinafter termed as (FGS) continues to strengthen its WAM capabilities & framework to ensure that all arms and ammunition's are properly & safely secured through its full life cycle under its control. The WAM Technical Adviser will support the WAM National Focal Point to continue this work. In particular the Technical Adviser will:
- Provide technical support for the Weapons & Ammunition (WAM) National Focal Point o for the Federal Government of Somalia (FGS) & expand the FGS’ WAM capability.
- Provide technical advice to National Focal Point to ensure compliance with the UN arms embargo on Somalia.
- Implement programs to facilitate the supply, receipt, possession & handling of weapons & ammunition legally obtained & use of illicit firearms & ammunition at Federal & State level.
- Work with the WAM Project Manager & a Local & International Legal Adviser, Assistant Legal Adviser & Operational Assistant on all aspects of this Terms of Reference (TOR) hereinafter termed as (TOR).
- Work according to time tables for deliverable's, format (whether electronic form) & method of delivery (email or otherwise), language will be Somali & English. You will have to draft documents [plus negotiation & redrafts] in close consultation with the WAM National Focal Point.
- Work with the FGS & entire WAM Team on all aspects of this Terms of Reference (TOR).