|CTG Overview||CTG stands for Committed To Good. With an ethical approach at the heart of all that we do, it is a description that makes us proud. Respect for the fundamental human rights of our staff, and those our staff encounter, is a cornerstone of our values. We strive for gender equality, inclusion and diversity, providing fair and equal opportunities for all. We take a zero tolerance approach to corruption and stay true to local labour laws and all local statutory requirements.|
In operation since 2006, today we are honoured to serve clients in 15 fragile and conflict-affected states assisting with disaster relief, peace building, humanitarian aid and development programmes through our specialised recruitment, HR management and operational services.
|Overview of position|
Our client supports the successful implementation of its partners' peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Mandated as a central resource our client provides sustainable project management, procurement and infrastructure services to a wide range of governments, donors and organizations. With over 7,000 personnel spread across 80 countries, our client offers its partners the logistical, technical and management knowledge they need, where they need it. By implementing around 1,000 projects for our partners at any given time, our client makes significant contributions to results on the ground, often in the most challenging environments.
The Senior Project Engineer provides technical assistance and expertise with reference to the feasibility/design/construction requirements as well as field coordination, ensuring high quality and consistency of work. The Senior Project Engineer supervising a diverse technical team promotes a collaborative, client focused, quality and results-oriented approach in the Project Team. S/He will also provide mentorship to junior team members ensuring knowledge transfer for capacity development. The Senior Project Engineer will report to the Project Manager. Senior project Engineer will supervise, monitor and control quality of the contractor’s works.
- General Construction.
- Feasibility Study/Needs Assessment.
- Design Management.
- Construction Supervision.
- Knowledge Management.
- Plan & coordinate work activities with the Project Manager.
- Take timely action to prevent potential delays &/or cost overruns that can be avoided.
- Report & recommend remedial actions regarding potential delays &/or cost overruns to the project manager.
- Provide supervision of project work progress & quality for on-time project delivery.
- Monitor contractor presence on the project site, including BoQ as per approved contract.
- Provide data & information about project work to project manager for reporting purposes.
- Provide monthly report to the Senior Project Engineer detailing all project matters including quality, health & safety, environmental & financial, as well as any issues relating to possible delays, cost overruns, variations & any other matter as agreed with the project manager.
Feasibility Study/Needs Assessment:
- Complete needs assessment, organize preliminary studies & monitor/supervising consultants.
- Support the review of requests for new construction & rehabilitation works.
- Carry out assessments & prepare reports with recommendations for follow up actions.
- Assist the Project Manager in redacting the tender dossier, with particular focus to the technical documents (drawings, BoQ, technical specification & standards).
- Assist the Senior Project Engineer to outline design requirements (e.g. timeline) to procure design services, including concept, preliminary & final stages where applicable.
- Assist the Senior Project Engineer to manage the design plan ensuring deliverable's are available on time & to the required quality.
- Review and approve BoQ.
- Assist the procurement team with technical assistance in preparation of tender documentation & bid analysis where required.
- Supervise construction works & administer works execution as per the contractual provisions & the design specifications.
- Ensure quantity/quality control & time schedule consistency.
- Verify that works are consistent with the project technical specifications & inform promptly of eventual deviations.
- Ensure constructions works are completed on time, within budget & to quality standards.
- Provide regular supervision of the project work progress & quality for on time delivery.
Impact of Results:
- Provide training & technology transfer to national personnel & contractor’s personnel & advice on good construction practices, good environmental management practices & appropriate health & safety standards during construction.
- Contribute to the dissemination & sharing of best practices & lessons learned for development planning & knowledge building.
- Conduct capacity building of the municipality engineering department.
- The effective and successful achievement of results by the senior project engineer directly impacts on achievement of the projects & consequently reinforces the visibility & image of the organisation as an effective service provider in project services & management & strengthens its competitive position as a partner of choice in sustainable development & project services.
The Senior Project Engineer will report to the Project Manager.
|Key competencies||Recruitment Qualifications:
- Master’s Degree in Civil Engineering or related field is an asset.
- Combination of Bachelor’s Degree with an additional 8 years of relevant work experience may be accepted in lieu of the education requirements outlined above.
- Project Management certification (for example PRINCE2® Foundation is desirable).
- Good knowledge of AutoCAD or other computer based design packages
- Have a strong working knowledge of roadway design and construction
- Minimum of 20 years of experience, related to the project requirements, in civil engineering construction management is required, with at least 5 years’ experience of working in an international engineering environment.
- Experienced in highway project implementation from inception stage to project closure stage. Including leading a team of engineers.
- Relevant experience in Somalia for the purpose of infrastructure development
- Experienced in working with the Day-to-day management of the site, including supervising and monitoring the site labor force and the work of contractors and any subcontractors; Reviewing of specifications, cost estimates, work plans, interpreting contract design documents supplied, including interpretation of survey results into technical drawings, Planning implementation works and efficiently organizing the site in order to meet agreed deadlines; Overseeing quality control, health and safety matters on site, Preparing of reports as required;Ensuring all materials used and work performed are as per specifications;
• Mentoring and develop junior staff while providing valuable input into engineering Best Practices.
• Work with PM to coordinate engineering activities between contractor and client
-Demonstrated International Federation of Consulting Engineers (FIDIC) contract knowledge is desirable.
Work experience in post-conflict/ fragile environments is desirable.
Some experience in working with Somali government on infrastructure development projects.
It is expected that the Senior Project Engineer is an active member in a professional engineering body
- Full working knowledge of English & Somalia is required.
- Develops & implements sustainable business strategies, thinks long term & externally in order to positively shape the organization. Anticipates & perceives the impact & implications of future decisions & activities on other parts of the organization. (Applicable only for levels ICS-10 & above).
- Treats all individuals with respect, responds sensitively to differences & encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational & ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity & inclusion.
- Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates & supports the development of others. For people managers only: Acts as positive leadership role model, motivates, directs & inspires others to succeed, utilizing appropriate leadership styles.
- Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners & always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds & maintains strong external relationships & is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).
- Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self &/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities & takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.
- Open to change & flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences & modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.
- Evaluates data & courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation & creativity to problem-solving.
- Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise & open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings & needs of others. Actively listens & proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion & finding common ground.
- Demonstrates strong technical knowledge & commitment to continuous learning.
- Demonstrates results orientation & focus on solutions.
- Ability to develop & maintain effective work relationships with clients, donors & other stakeholders.
- Ability to plan work in a collaborative manner & to manage priorities.
- Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve the goals of the project & in accordance with our clients shared goals.
- Consistently approaches work with energy & a positive, constructive attitude.
- Remains calm, in control & good humored even under pressure.
- The Project Engineer is responsible for keeping abreast of new developments in Engineering.
The role does not have team management responsibility.