|CTG Overview||CTG stands for Committed To Good. With an ethical approach at the heart of all that we do, it is a description that makes us proud. Respect for the fundamental human rights of our staff, and those our staff encounter, is a cornerstone of our values. We strive for gender equality, inclusion and diversity, providing fair and equal opportunities for all. We take a zero tolerance approach to corruption and stay true to local labour laws and all local statutory requirements.|
In operation since 2006, today we are honoured to serve clients in 15 fragile and conflict-affected states assisting with disaster relief, peace building, humanitarian aid and development programmes through our specialised recruitment, HR management and operational services.
|Overview of position|
- Our client is an operational arm of the UN, supporting the successful implementation of its partners' peace building, humanitarian & development projects around the world. Mandated as a central resource of the UN, our client provides sustainable project management, procurement & infrastructure services to a wide range of govt's, donors & UN organizations. With over 7,000 personnel spread across 80 countries, they offer their partners the logistical, technical & management knowledge they need, where they need it. By implementing around 1,000 projects for their partners at any given time, our clients makes significant contributions to results on the ground, often in the most challenging environments.
- Community roads Mogadishu / Garowe overseen – Mogadishu / Garowe, Trainee Engineer to assist Senior Project Engineer in supervision, monitor & control quality of the contractor’s works.
- The Trainee Engineer provides technical assistance & expertise with reference to the construction works as well as field coordination, ensuring high quality & consistency of work, for the a / m construction works . The Project Engineer promotes a collaborative, client focused, quality & results oriented approach in the project team.
- General construction.
- Design management.
- Construction supervision.
- Knowledge management.
- Implement work activities with the Senior Project Engineer & Project Engineer.
- Take timely action to prevent potential delays & / or cost overruns that can be avoided.
- Report & recommend remedial actions regarding potential delays and / or cost overruns to the Senior Project Engineer.
- Provide supervision of project work progress & quality for on time project delivery.
- Monitor contractor presence on the project site, including BOQ as per approved contract.
- Provide data & information about project work to Senior Project Engineer (or Project Engineer) for reporting purposes.
- Assist with weekly & monthly reporting with the Senior Project Engineer (or Project Engineer) detailing all project matters including quality, health, safety, environmental & financial, as well as any issues relating to possible delays, cost overruns, variations & any other matter as agreed with the Senior Project Engineer (or Project Engineer).
- Assist the Senior Project Engineer to outline design requirements (e.g. timeline) to procure design services, including concept, preliminary & final stages where applicable.
- Assist the Senior Project Engineer to manage the design plan ensuring deliverable's are available on time & to the required quality.
- Prepare the BOQ for comment & approval by the Senior Project Engineer.
- Assist the procurement team with technical assistance in preparation of tender documentation & bid analysis where required.
- As tasked by the Senior Project Engineer, supervise construction works & administer works execution as per the contractual provisions & the design specifications.
- Ensure quantity / quality control & time schedule consistency.
- Verify that works are consistent with the project technical specifications & inform promptly of eventual deviations.
- Support the overall management of works implementation to ensure constructions works are completed on time, within budget & to quality standards.
- Provide regular supervision of the project work progress & quality for on time delivery.
- Assist the Senior Project Engineer in the preparation of project / contracts related documentations such as periodic progress reports, site monitoring reports, stake holder meeting minutes, engineer’s instructions & variation orders, contractor’s bills review reports, certifications, client hand over documents & contracts close out reports.
- Oversee surveying works, engineering control of the works etc.
- Assist in providing training & technology transfer to national personnel & contractor’s personnel & advice on good construction practices, good environmental management practices & appropriate health & safety standards during construction.
- Contribute to the dissemination & sharing of best practices & lessons learned for development planning & knowledge building.
Feasibility study / needs assessment:
- Complete needs assessment organizes preliminary studies & monitor / supervising consultants.
- Support the review of requests for new construction & rehabilitation works.
- Carry out assessments & prepare reports with recommendations for follow up actions.
- Assist the Project Manager in redacting the tender dossier, with focus to the technical documents (drawings, BOQ, technical specification & standards).
Impact of results:
- The effective & successful achievement of results by the Project Engineer directly impacts on achievement of the projects & consequently reinforces the visibility & image of our client as an effective service provider in project services, management & strengthens its competitive position as a partner of choice in sustainable development & project services.
The Trainee Engineer will report to the Senior Project Engineer [or Project Engineer].
- Degree in Civil Engineering is required.
- AutoCAD certification is desirable.
- Project management certification (for example PRINCE2® Foundation is desirable).
- Strong competency in AutoCAD.
- Full working knowledge of English / Somali is essential.
- Knowledge of another official UN language is an asset.
- Develops & implements sustainable business strategies, thinks long term & externally in order to positively shape the organization. Anticipates & perceives the impact & implications of future decisions & activities on other parts of the organization. (Applicable only for levels ICS-10 & above).
- Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences & encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational & ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity & inclusion.
- Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others. For people managers only: Acts as positive leadership role model, motivates, directs & inspires others to succeed, utilizing appropriate leadership styles.
- Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners & always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds & maintains strong external relationships & is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).
- Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self & / or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities & takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.
- Open to change & flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.
- Evaluates data & courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation & creativity to problem solving.
- Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise & open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings & needs of others. Actively listens & proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion & finding common ground.
- Demonstrates knowledge of highway construction & commitment to continuous learning.
- Demonstrates results orientation & focus on solutions.
- Ability to develop & maintain effective work relationships with clients, donors & other stakeholders.
- Ability to plan work in a collaborative manner & to manage priorities.
- Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve the goals of the project & in accordance with UN shared goals.
- Consistently approaches work with energy & a positive, constructive attitude.
- Remains calm, in control & good humored even under pressure.
- The Trainee Engineer is responsible for keeping abreast of new developments in engineering.
This role does not have any team management responsibility.