|CTG Overview||CTG stands for Committed To Good. With an ethical approach at the heart of all that we do, it is a description that makes us proud. Respect for the fundamental human rights of our staff, and those our staff encounter, is a cornerstone of our values. We strive for gender equality, inclusion and diversity, providing fair and equal opportunities for all. We take a zero tolerance approach to corruption and stay true to local labour laws and all local statutory requirements.|
In operation since 2006, today we are honoured to serve clients in 15 fragile and conflict-affected states assisting with disaster relief, peace building, humanitarian aid and development programmes through our specialised recruitment, HR management and operational services.
|Overview of position|
The RMMAC Officer will be responsible for the administration and management of the work in support of all projects related to Operations and Capacity Development. S/he will report to the Chief of Operations, or delegated authority). S/he is responsible for the provision and implementation of the following main duties
Place of performance: South Sudan
Duration: Up to 12 months (@6 days/week)
Work Routine: Nine weeks on three weeks off (paid)
Remuneration: $11,000 per calendar month plus economy class travel for scheduled leave flights
Specific responsibilities for support to Capacity Development
- Oversee all aspects of mine action related activities carried out by staff under your supervision and control
- Implement and monitor technical and national safety standards
- Ensure close and effective interaction and coordination of the integral aspects of mine action, such as Mine Victim Support and Explosive Threat Risk Education
- When requested, act as the Investigating Officer for Detailed Independent Investigations or Boards of Inquiry for Mine/ERW/IED Accidents or incidents
- Debrief mine action (MAl organizations and other implementing partners on quality assurance (QA) achievements and QA assessments and ensure that all QA assessment data is captured through the appropriate QA documentation and QA tracker
- Provide guidance on any specific corrective actions to be taken by organizations, following an inspection, which finds a critical non-conformity
- Ensure proper maintenance of documentation for all inspected land
- Ensure proper storage of explosives in accordance with national and international guidelines and ensure control and security of explosives that are used by implementing mine action organisations within the area of responsibility
- Monitor the storage arrangements of UN troop Contributing Country military units across South Sudan, assess the serviceability of ammunition held and make recommendations for the amelioration of storage conditions.
- Develop and conduct training, and manage the quality of training on Explosives management, Landmine clearance, ERW clearance and lED Threat Mitigation as required
- Implement QA management systems and ensure that the systems are being applied in a fair and equitable manner, and that accreditation, licensing and monitoring does not interrupt or delay MA projects
- Conduct routine on-site QA of MA organization operations (for monitoring and post clearance inspections) and as part of the accreditation process
- Stay abreast of the International Mine Action Standards (IMAS) and International Ammunition Technical Guidelines (IATG's); ensure that MA Organization Standard Operating Procedures (SOP) comply with IMAS and IATG standards and that they are conducting safe and effective Mine Action and PSSM Operations
- As directed by the Chief of Operations coordinate, facilitate and prioritize all operational tasking for projects within the area of responsibility
- Oversee and coordinate the implementation, execution and completion of all Explosive Threat Mitigation related operations for projects within the area of responsibility, with a special emphasis on operations conducted by the Mission assets
- Conduct quality control on all Explosive Threat Mitigation training and mentorship carried out by contracted trainers and mentors to the benefit of project personnel, civilian and military
- Support the collection of data and the management of information
- Provide advice and input into the development of strategic and procedural documents related to Ammunition Management, EOD/IEDD matters in support to project
- Support programmatic, project and operation planning and activities through the provision of lED analysis.
- As directed by the Chief of Operations, coordinate efforts in the area of capacity building relations in mine action and against the risks posed by explosive threats (ERW, Stockpiles, and lED) in accordance with the demands of UNMISS and our client in South Sudan.
- Ensure interaction and maintain close and effective coordination with relevant TCCs on the strengthening of ammunition management capacities and risks posed by explosive hazards
- Provide advisory support and technical assistance for capacity assessment elements of relevant national and TCC military units
- Provide advisory support and technical assistance to relevant TCC and national military units in matters of information management (compilation and reporting of incidents I interventions)
- Conduct formal training to TCC forces, Internal national military or contracted training personnel, to selected national military personnel
- Provide mentorship to selected TCC and national military personnel as part of formal training validation and on the job training
- Oversee the operational management of a regional office and ensure that Mine Action operations conducted within the respective AOR are done so to appropriate standards in line with the National Technical Standards and Guidelines.
- Monitor the disposal of TCC ammunition, advise on logistical demolitions, review demolitions orders and review explosive holdings of our client operating partners.
- Advise the programme on explosive issues including harvesting of in-country ammunition for use in ammunition disposal operations, incineration of suitable stocks and pursue the introduction of binary explosives into our client.
- Perform other tasks as directed by the Programme Manager and Chief of Operations.
Will report directly to our client Operations Office in Juba & prepare progress reports which are to be provided on a regular basis or as requested by the Project Manager & as required in case of any incidents.
• Master Degree or equivalent in business administration, project management, social science, or related field is required;
• Bachelor Degree or equivalent with an additional two years of relevant experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree;
• High School/Secondary education in combination with an additional 6 years of Military or other relevant experience in the field of Explosive Ordnance Disposal (EOD) and/or Improvised Explosive Device Disposal (lEDD) (Military and/or civilian), may be considered in lieu of a university degree.
• Ammunition Management certification by an internationally recognized and accredited military or civilian institution is required
• Explosive Ordnance Disposal (EOD) Level 3 (or equivalent) is required
• 5 years of experience in operations management is required; this experience can be within the fields of either military mine action, commercial mine action, or humanitarian mine action, and must include experience with Ammunition Management, Explosive Ordnance Disposal (EOD) or Improvised Explosive Device Disposal (IEDD)
• 3 years of experience conducting explosive threat mitigation activities is required
• 1 year of demonstrated experience in training is required
• Knowledge of the International Mine Action Standards (IMAS) is required
• Experience in capacity-building is desired
• Experience with training foreign nationals in EOD/IEDD techniques is desired
• Counter-lED/lED threat mitigation operational field experience in the last 10 years, as part of a military deployment or within a mine action programme, in a high threat lED environment is desired
• Experience with the QA and QC processes with regard to humanitarian mine action desired
• Knowledge of the UN system s is desired
• Computer literacy, in particular experience of using MS Office and IMSMA is desired.
Teamwork - Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals; Solicits input by genuinely valuing others' ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others; Places team agenda before personal agenda; Supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position; Shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings
Planning and Organizing - Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; Identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; Allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; Foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; Monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; Uses time efficiently
judgment/Decision-making- Identifies the key issues in a complex situation, and comes to the heart of the problem quickly; Gathers relevant information before making a decision; Considers positive and negative impacts of decisions prior to making them; Takes decisions with an eye to the impact on others and on the Organization; Proposes a course of action or makes a recommendation based on all available information; Checks assumptions against facts; Determines that the actions proposed will satisfy the expressed and underlying needs for the decision; Makes tough decisions when necessary
Communication - Speaks and writes clearly and effectively; Listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately; Asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication; Tailors language, tone, style and format to match the audience; Demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed
Commitment to Continuous Learning - Keeps abreast of new developments in own occupation/profession; Actively seeks to develop oneself professionally and personally; Contributes to the learning of colleagues and subordinates; Shows willingness to learn from others; Seeks feedback to learn and improve
Technological Awareness - Keeps abreast of available technology; Understands applicability and limitations of technology to the work of the office; Actively seeks to apply technology to appropriate tasks; Shows willingness to learn new technology;
Accountability - Takes ownership of all responsibilities and honours commitments; Delivers outputs for which one has responsibility within prescribed time, cost and quality standards; Operates in compliance with organizational regulations and rules; Supports subordinates, provides oversight and takes responsibility for delegated assignments; Takes personal responsibility for his/her own shortcomings and those of the work unit, where applicable
This role does not require any team management responsibility.
- Fluency in English (reading. writing, speaking) OR Fluency in French (reading, writing, speaking) is required
- Fluency in another official UN language is desired
Experience in a similar operating environment to South Sudan.