|CTG Overview||CTG stands for Committed To Good. With an ethical approach at the heart of all that we do, it is a description that makes us proud. Respect for the fundamental human rights of our staff, and those our staff encounter, is a cornerstone of our values. We strive for gender equality, inclusion and diversity, providing fair and equal opportunities for all. We take a zero tolerance approach to corruption and stay true to local labour laws and all local statutory requirements.|
In operation since 2006, today we are honoured to serve clients in 15 fragile and conflict-affected states assisting with disaster relief, peace building, humanitarian aid and development programmes through our specialised recruitment, HR management and operational services.
|Overview of position|
The Electromechanical Engineer will be responsible to provide hands-on technical work on electromechanical components with focus on diesel generators within the engineering team, assess and troubleshoot electromechanical systems field issues including but not limited to: thermal block, electric alternators, control panels, single and 3-phase connections to the electrical grid, phases unbalance, grounding, changeovers, AVR. Deliver field support and technical assistance to customers for diesel generator and hybrid systems (diesel generators and renewable energy systems).
Purpose and Scope of Assignment Within delegated authority, the Electromechanical Technician will apply technical knowledge and expertise in performance of the following duties:
- Execute the scope of work provided by the senior engineer, the diesel generator engineer, the digital industrial engineer and mission diesel generator lead
- Carry out surveys and assessment of existing power production facility fleets and electrical circuits
- Procure, install and maintain synchronization kits, PLCs (Programmable Logic Controller) and control systems (DSE Deep See Electronics)
- Assist with the upgrade the existing diesel generator fleet, solar PV systems, energy storage systems and hybrid systems by installation of remote monitoring equipment and smart meters including data loggers.
- Support the field installation of hybrid systems including diesel generators and renewable energy systems under the supervision of the senior engineer and diesel generator engineer
- Utilize the proper testing equipment for effective repair, troubleshooting and maintenance electromechanical equipment for energy generation and distribution
- Coordinate field hand workers in maintenance and installation of electromechanical equipment
- Troubleshoot equipment and service generator components including, but not limited to alternators, wiring harnesses, safety devices, shutdown switches, governor, mechanical components, connections to grid
- Support the installation and maintenance of electrical equipment including, but not limited to timers, sensors, ambient conditions measurement devices, energy smart meters devices, solar PV measurement devices, wind speed measurement devices
- Determine corrective actions through inspection of failed parts
- Perform assembly, diagnosis and electromechanical systems operating performance tests
- Service, fault find and carry out breakdown repairs
- Comply with the Electric Health & Safety Policy, including carrying out general housekeeping to ensure work areas are tidy.
- Comply with all aspect of the Electric, included but not limited to ISO 9001:2008 and ISO 14001: 2004 and other relevant environmental procedures.
The contractor will have dual reporting lines with the Project Manager of REACT in Geneva providing specific context and strategic guidance and the Senior Engineer.
• A minimum of 2 years of relevant experience in the field of electromechanical systems is required.
• Professional experience in installation, commissioning and maintenance of electromechanical equipment is required: including diesel generators mechanical, electrical and control systems, energy meters, synchronization kits, change overs installation (manual and automatic).
• Professional experience of other energy systems (renewable energy including wind and solar PV, gas turbines, combined cycles plants, energy storage) is desirable.
• Understanding of Low Voltage and High Voltage systems including transformers; understanding of single phase and three phase wiring is required. Internationally recognized certification to work with electrical equipment is required.
• Knowledge of fuel management systems and data collection systems. Familiarity with mechanical and electrical engineering codes and standards.
• Experience working peacekeeping, political missions and UN agencies, funds, and programmes) in a conflict or post-conflict setting is desirable.
• Proficiency in using Microsoft Office applications & MS Project.
• Develops and implements sustainable business strategies, thinks long term and externally in order to positively shape the organization. Anticipates and perceives the impact and implications of future decisions and activities on other parts of the organization
• Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion.
• Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others. For people managers only: Acts as positive leadership role model, motivates, directs and inspires others to succeed, utilizing appropriate leadership styles.
• Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).
• Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.
• Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.
• Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving.
• Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.
This role does not have team management responsibilities.
The technician is expected to travel 80% or more during the assignment to remote locations (including but not limited to Central Africa, Middle-East, Central America).
Additional travel might be required to GSC in Brindisi, Italy. Travel from Geneva to New York (if applicable) will also be paid upon contract signature.
At the start of the appointment the consultant will develop a detailed work plan including expected deliverables and timelines. Progress will be rated against the work plan and the interim deliverables.