|CTG Overview||CTG stands for Committed To Good. With an ethical approach at the heart of all that we do, it is a description that makes us proud. Respect for the fundamental human rights of our staff, and those our staff encounter, is a cornerstone of our values. We strive for gender equality, inclusion and diversity, providing fair and equal opportunities for all. We take a zero tolerance approach to corruption and stay true to local labour laws and all local statutory requirements.|
In operation since 2006, today we are honoured to serve clients in 15 fragile and conflict-affected states assisting with disaster relief, peace building, humanitarian aid and development programmes through our specialised recruitment, HR management and operational services.
|Overview of position|
- The RMMAC Officer will be responsible for the administration & management of the work in support of all projects related to operations & capacity development. S/he will report to the Chief of Operations, or delegated authority).
- Place of performance: South Sudan.
S/he is responsible for the provision & implementation of the following main duties:
Specific responsibilities for support to capacity development:
- Oversee all aspects of mine action related activities carried out by staff under your supervision & control.
- Implement & monitor technical & national safety standards.
- Ensure close & effective interaction & coordination of the integral aspects of mine action, such as mine victim support & explosive threat risk education.
- When requested, act as the Investigating Officer for Detailed Independent Investigations or Boards of Inquiry for Mine/ERW/IED accidents or incidents.
- Debrief Mine Action (MA) organizations & other implementing partners on Quality Assurance (QA) achievements & QA assessments & ensure that all QA assessment data is captured through the appropriate QA documentation & QA tracker.
- Provide guidance on any specific corrective actions to be taken by organizations, following an inspection, which finds a critical non conformity.
- Ensure proper maintenance of documentation for all inspected land.
- Ensure proper storage of explosives in accordance with national & international guidelines & ensure control & security of explosives that are used by implementing MA organisations within the Area of Responsibility (AOR).
- Monitor the storage arrangements of UN troop contributing country military units across South Sudan, assess the serviceability of ammunition held & make recommendations for the amelioration of storage conditions.
- Develop & conduct training & manage the quality of training on explosives management, landmine clearance, ERW clearance & lED threat mitigation as required.
- Implement QA management systems & ensure that the systems are being applied in a fair & equitable manner & that accreditation, licensing & monitoring does not interrupt or delay MA projects.
- Conduct routine onsite QA of MA organization operations (for monitoring & post clearance inspections) & as part of the accreditation process.
- Stay abreast of the International Mine Action Standards (IMAS) & International Ammunition Technical Guidelines (IATG's); ensure that MA organization Standard Operating Procedures (SOP) comply with IMAS & IATG standards & that they are conducting safe & effective MA & PSSM operations.
- As directed by the Chief of Operations coordinate, facilitate & prioritize all operational tasking for projects within the AOR.
- Oversee & coordinate the implementation, execution & completion of all explosive threat mitigation related operations for projects within the AOR, with a special emphasis on operations conducted by the mission assets.
- Conduct Quality Control (QC) on all explosive threat mitigation training & mentorship carried out by contracted Trainers & Mentors to the benefit of project personnel, civilian & military.
- Support the collection of data & the management of information.
- Provide advice & input into the development of strategic & procedural documents related to ammunition management, EOD/IEDD matters in support to project.
- Support programmatic, project & operation planning & activities through the provision of lED analysis.
- As directed by the Chief of Operations, coordinate efforts in the area of capacity building relations in MA & against the risks posed by explosive threats (ERW, stockpiles & lED) in accordance with the demands of UNMISS & our client in South Sudan.
- Ensure interaction & maintain close & effective coordination with relevant TCCs on the strengthening of ammunition management capacities & risks posed by explosive hazards.
- Provide advisory support & technical assistance for capacity assessment elements of relevant national & TCC military units.
- Provide advisory support & technical assistance to relevant TCC & national military units in matters of information management (compilation & reporting of incidents / interventions).
- Conduct formal training to TCC forces, internal national military or contracted training personnel, to selected national military personnel.
- Provide mentorship to selected TCC & national military personnel as part of formal training validation & on the job training.
- Oversee the operational management of a regional office & ensure that MA operations conducted within the respective AOR are done so to appropriate standards in line with NTSG's.
- Monitor the disposal of TCC ammunition, advise on logistical demolitions, review demolitions orders & review explosive holdings of our client operating partners.
- Advise the program on explosive issues including harvesting of incountry ammunition for use in ammunition disposal operations, incineration of suitable stocks & pursue the introduction of binary explosives into our client.
- Perform other tasks as directed by the Program Manager & Chief of Operations.
Will report directly to our clients Operations Office in Juba & prepare progress reports which are to be provided on a regular basis or as requested by the Project Manager & as required in case of any incidents.
- Master Degree or equivalent in Business Administration, Project Management, Social Science, or related field is required.
- Bachelor Degree or equivalent with an additional 2 years of relevant experience may be accepted in lieu of the Advanced University Degree.
- High School/Secondary Education in combination with an additional 6 years of Military or other relevant experience in the field of EOD &/or lEDD (Military &/or civilian), may be considered in lieu of a University Degree.
- Ammunition Management Certification by an internationally recognized & accredited military or civilian institution is required.
- EOD Level 3 (or equivalent) is required.
- 5 years of experience in operations management is required, this experience can be within the fields of either military MA, Commercial Mine Action (CMA) or Humanitarian Mine Action (HMA) & must include experience with ammunition management, EOD or IEDD.
- 3 years of experience conducting explosive threat mitigation activities is required.
- 1 year of demonstrated experience in training is required.
- Knowledge of the IMAS is required.
- Experience in capacity building is desired.
- Experience with training foreign nationals in EOD/IEDD techniques is desired.
- Counter-lED (CIED)/lED threat mitigation operational field experience in the last 10 years, as part of a military deployment or within a MA program, in a high threat lED environment is desired.
- Experience with the QA & QC processes with regard to HMA. is desired.
- Knowledge of the UN system s is desired.
- Computer literacy, in particular experience of using MS Office & IMSMA is desired.
- Teamwork: Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals. Solicits input by genuinely valuing others' ideas & expertise; is willing to learn from others. Places team agenda before personal agenda. Supports & acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position. Shares credit for team accomplishments & accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
- Planning & organizing: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; Identifies priority activities & assignments, adjusts priorities as required. Allocates appropriate amount of time & resources for completing work. Foresees risks & allows for contingencies when planning. Monitors & adjusts plans & actions as necessary. Uses time efficiently.
- Judgment/Decision making: Identifies the key issues in a complex situation & comes to the heart of the problem quickly. Gathers relevant information before making a decision. Considers positive & negative impacts of decisions prior to making them. Takes decisions with an eye to the impact on others & on the organization. Proposes a course of action or makes a recommendation based on all available information. Checks assumptions against facts. Determines that the actions proposed will satisfy the expressed & underlying needs for the decision. Makes tough decisions when necessary.
- Communication: Speaks & writes clearly & effectively. Listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others & responds appropriately. Asks questions to clarify & exhibits interest in having two way communication. Tailors language, tone, style & format to match the audience. Demonstrates openness in sharing information & keeping people informed.
Commitment to continuous learning: Keeps abreast of new developments in own occupation/profession. Actively seeks to develop oneself professionally & personally. Contributes to the learning of colleagues & subordinates. Shows willingness to learn from others. Seeks feedback to learn & improve.
- Technological awareness: Keeps abreast of available technology. Understands applicability & limitations of technology to the work of the office. Actively seeks to apply technology to appropriate tasks. Shows willingness to learn new technology.
- Accountability: Takes ownership of all responsibilities & honors commitments. Delivers outputs for which one has responsibility within prescribed time, cost & quality standards. Operates in compliance with organizational regulations & rules. Supports subordinates, provides oversight & takes responsibility for delegated assignments. Takes personal responsibility for his/her own shortcomings & those of the work unit, where applicable.
This role does not have any team management responsibility.
- Fluency in English (reading. writing, speaking) OR Fluency in Arabic (reading, writing, speaking) is required.
- Fluency in another official UN language is desired.
- Experience in a similar operating environment to South Sudan.