|CTG Overview||CTG stands for Committed To Good. With an ethical approach at the heart of all that we do, it is a description that makes us proud. Respect for the fundamental human rights of our staff, and those our staff encounter, is a cornerstone of our values. We strive for gender equality, inclusion and diversity, providing fair and equal opportunities for all. We take a zero tolerance approach to corruption and stay true to local labour laws and all local statutory requirements.|
In operation since 2006, today we are honoured to serve clients in 15 fragile and conflict-affected states assisting with disaster relief, peace building, humanitarian aid and development programmes through our specialised recruitment, HR management and operational services.
|Overview of position|
Our client as the guardian of the United Nations Convention against Transnational Organized Crime (UNTOC) and the Protocol to Prevent, Suppress and Punish Trafficking in Persons, especially Women and Children (Trafficking in Persons Protocol) and the Protocol against the Smuggling of Migrants by Land, Sea and Air (Smuggling of Migrants Protocol) – is mandated to promote global adherence to these instruments and to assist Member States in implementing the provisions thereof.
Accordingly, the assignment supports the implementation of the US Department of State (DoS) International Narcotics and Law Enforcement (INL) funded “Criminal Investigation Programme (CIP) for Somalia” activities, as part of our client's Regional sub-programme on “Countering Transnational Organized Crime and Illicit Trafficking in Eastern Africa”.
The objective of the CIP for Somalia is to provide technical assistance and operational guidance in a holistic manner the overall objective to promote and support the effective response to organized crime in Somalia by enhancing the strategic and operational Police capacity to enforce laws, strategies and policies. The following three main objectives include: i) strengthen law enforcement institutional capacity to effectively implement United Nations Convention against Transnational Organised Crime and its supplementing Protocols; ii) enhance knowledge and skills on, and capacity to counter organized and other serious crimes through basic and advanced Police training programmes; and iii) increase law enforcement organisational, operational and technological capacity in enforcing laws, strategies, and policies through operational support and technical assistance.
Purpose of the Assignment:
The purpose of the assignment is to support the development of the capacity and competence of the Federal Criminal Investigation Departments and State Criminal Investigation Units of the Somalia Police Force in South West and in Somalia overall. Along with trained investigators, there is a need to provide a core of trained investigators to create Criminal Investigation Units (CIU) at selected Federal member states. The programme will support Chief of Investigations by way of mentoring. In addition, support will be given to the selection, training and mentoring of investigation unit administrators. The Individual Contractor will be involved in the planning, development, establishment and mentoring of specialist investigation units (SIU) based within both the Federal and State investigation systems.
The Individual Contractor will assist the coordination of the project’s day-to-day activities in support of the overall strategic plan. The incumbent will be based in Baidoa, South West and may be required to travel to other Federal member states. The Individual Contractor will work closely with other lead and senior law enforcement consultants based in Mogadishu.
The assigned tasks are in line with current reform of the Somali Police Force (SPF), under the new policing model (NPM), ratified at the London Somalia Conference, 2017. The capacity building of SPF investigation departments and units is also supported under the Comprehensive Agreement on Security (CAS), strand 2 (b).
a) Specific Deliverables to be Performed by the Individual Contractor:The incumbent will be based in Baioda, South West, Somalia. More specifically, the person will perform the following tasks:
b)Expected tangible and measurable output(s)/deliverable(s): c)Assisting in the development of the Workplan
- Assist the lead consultant and senior law enforcement consultants in the development of a workplan in coordination with the Somalia Police Force and our client for the implementation of a Chief of Investigators mentorship programme as well as Investigators management programme;
- Conduct an ongoing assessment and assist in the development of proposals and plans for the establishment of specialized investigation units to investigate a range of serious and federal crimes in South West;
- Bolster the lead consultant and senior law enforcement consultants in providing on-going strategic and operational advice to the Chief of Investigations, Investigation Administrators and specialized units in South West;
- Support the lead consultant and senior law enforcement consultants in the development of systems of procurement of hardware and software, to monitor use, condition and maintenance requirements of CID and CIU equipment.
d) Rapid assessment and strategic and operational support in establishment of specialized investigation units in South West
- Support the formulation of a Workplan on overall assignment, assist in the implementation of a Chief of Investigators mentorship programme and Investigators management programme, in consultation with the lead consultant and senior law enforcement consultants, our client, Somalia Police Force, South West Police and respective counterparts wherever necessary, and presented to our client for approval;
- Maintain and update the Workplan on weekly basis in consultation with the lead consultant and senior law enforcement consultants and our client, and submit to our client.
e) Bolster the lead consultant and senior law enforcement consultants in providing ongoing strategic and operational advice to the Chief of Investigations
- Conduct a rolling assessment on the establishment and implementation of a Specialized Investigation Unit in South West;
- Contribute to the development of proposals and plans for the establishment of a specialized unit in South West in conjunction with the lead consultant and senior law enforcement consultants;
- Provide ongoing in-country mentoring support and advice in establishing and strengthening specialized investigation units in South West.
f) Support the development of an equipment management/accountability system
- Assist the lead consultant and senior law enforcement consultants in providing ongoing in-country mentoring and advice on prevention, suppression and investigation of serious and organized crimes to the Chief of Investigations
- Support the development and presentation of proposals and plans, and assist the lead consultant and senior law enforcement consultants to provide support to our client and respective stakeholders, for the procedures and policies required for establishment and effective running of criminal investigation units in South West;
- Contribute to the creation and delivery of a Chief of Investigators and Investigation Administrator course;
- Meeting reports with national counterparts and other relevant stakeholders submitted to our client;
- Provide weekly progress report presented to our client.
- Provide support in developing management and accountability systems for monitoring the use, condition and maintenance of equipment for the investigation units;
- Status reports submitted to our client.
The Individual Contractor will be carried out under the direct supervision of the Program Management Officer (Head of Transnational Organized Crime, Illicit Trafficking and Terrorism Programmes) based in Nairobi, in close consultation with the CIP implementing team.
|Key competencies||7. Qualifications/expertise sought (required educational background, years of Relevant work experience, other special skills or knowledge required)
• University degree in criminology, law, political sciences, sociology or related discipline or relevant work experience in a law enforcement force and/or security service;
• At least 6 years of relevant professional experience in investigating and/or prosecuting of organized and serious crimes;
• Proven experience in establishing specialized units/departments for police force;
• Proven experience in providing technical advice and mentoring for police force;
• Ability to interact with governmental agencies, good interpersonal skills and organizational proficiency;
• Excellent communication and drafting skills in English;
• Excellent analytical and evaluative skills; and
• Previous experience working with criminal justice actors in Somalia.
|Team Management is not required for this role|
The individual contractor will receive a monthly remuneration upon satisfactory performance and progress.
- Dates and details of deliverables/payments:
All the outputs should be submitted in English and meet the satisfaction of our client according to the following indicators:
- Indicators to Evaluate the Contractor’s Performance
- Quality of the written documents produced;
- Technical competence; and
- Timeliness of the delivery.