The Structural Engineer reports to Project Manager / Deputy Project Manager as her / his primary supervisor. Working as part of the JICA V team, the Structural Engineer will support the Water Supply Engineer, QA / QC Engineer, Electrical & Mechanical Engineers, Monitoring Engineers, Health & Safety & Community Liaison Officer to supervise the delivery of the water supply facility work package components. The overarching role is to provide technical assistance, guidance & oversight with the implementation of the approved Reinforced Cement Concrete (RCC) structural components of the water supply facility, per the approved designs, along with supporting capacity building & institutional strengthening of the designated CRIDA Engineering team. S / He will be expected to, but not limited to, perform the following duties & responsibilities:
- Support the review of designs & estimations of all RCC structures.
- Support the review of calculation of quantities, estimation & preparation of Bill of Quantities for all structures.
- Responsible for overseeing, advising & providing technical support on the implementation of works involving large scale vertical & horizontal RCC structures, in particular, the elevated water pressure regulating reservoir, the water treatment & pumping facility, the RCC siphon canal / culvert under the Kabul river & the culvert under Jalalabad road.
- Support, review & advise on improving existing practices of local contractors & conventional methodology for the implementation of works involving large scale vertical & horizontal RCC structures, make recommendations that will increase efficiency, safety & productivity through good practices & troubleshooting methods.
- Support the review of technical documentation & BoQs for all RCC structures to ensure they are in accordance with established & applicable international standards.
- Advise on the appropriate locations for RCC structure construction.
- Provide support & advice on coordination of the fabrication process, including launching & placing.
- Oversight of QA / QC site visits & materials testing reports to ensure sampling, testing & inspection of materials are carried out regularly & works are implemented in compliance with the approved design technical specifications.
- Support the PM for approval of design changes as deemed necessary.
- Support the capacity building of CRIDA counterpart Engineers in the implementation of works involving large scale vertical & horizontal RCC structures, construction techniques including good practices, troubleshooting methods & client health, safety, social & environmental management requirements.
- Provide technical advice & assistance to contractors to ensure that economical & quality materials are purchased.
- Support monitoring & oversight for implementation of works, including site visits as appropriate, providing guidance & developing approaches to enhance outputs &quality of works undertaken.
Monitoring & progress controls:
To provide technical assistance, oversight & training / capacity building to help assure:
- Regular technical meetings are held to coordinate RCC structures work, work plans are updated & where necessary corrective actions are implemented.
- Weekly progress meetings are held with the team management for reporting on progress & completion of work streams according to project planning & requirements.
- Submission of daily, weekly & / or monthly progress reports as required.
- Provision of field progress reports as appropriate.
- Technical documentation is to the required approved design / drawings & technical specifications.
- CRIDA engineering counterparts demonstrate an increase in capacity & capability.
To support the implementation &substantial completion of works for the water supply facility:
- Large scale vertical & horizontal RCC structures, drainage structures & protective structures are implemented to expected quality, standards & documented.
- All technical documents (calculations, survey & geo tech investigation results & as build drawings) are properly archived.
- All designs & construction are in adherence to established & applicable international standards & use of materials is in accordance with technical specifications applicable to the designs & BoQ.
- Specifications are adhered to by the works contractor.