Our client in Afghanistan is responsible for implementing a number of projects on behalf of the Govt. of Afghanistan & the aid donor community. The Afghanistan Operational Hub (AFOH) has been set up as an organizational mechanism to deliver a range of projects for which our client has been designated as the Implementing Agency/Consultant.
The Ministry of Public Works (MPW) of the Govt. of Afghanistan aims to construct Trans Hindukosh Road Connectivity Project (THRCP) which has strategic importance for the movement of goods & freight between the northern provinces & capital of the country. This road has a significant role not only for the current traffic movement but also as part of a resource corridor which is already targeted as a priority to construct. The Govt. of Afghanistan intends to improve & upgrade the Bamyan to Baghlan Road as well as rehabilitate & maintain portions of the Salang highway in order to improve the Trans Hindukush road connectivity in order to provide all year-round access & enhance local as well as international trade & regional integration. Furthermore, the improved roads will increase security by reducing the time to respond to local, regional, or national incidents, facilitate access to social services & provide new regional trade opportunities including agriculture & mining.
The Construction Supervision Specialist reports to the IC Team Leader. Working under the Ministry of Public Works (MPW) the Construction Supervision Specialist is responsible for supporting the Govt. Construction Supervision Unit (CSU) on site to assure effective, efficient & professional delivery of the THRCP mandated program of projects to the expected quality, standard & timeline. They will be responsible for representing all aspects of construction supervision best practices & to support development of sustainable approaches to capacity building & institutional strengthening of the Govt. CSU & wider central MPW related resources. They will be expected to perform the following duties and responsibilities, but not limited to:
- Provide site based construction management & supervision support for the implementation & closure of projects.
- Provide technical advice in relation to QA for delivery of the program & projects on site.
- Support, advise & guide on implementation of construction management standards.
- Support & advise on scheduling of works, estimation of costs, budgeting, preparation of contracts, negotiation of contracts, contract disputes resolution, performance regime & monitoring of implementation.
- Support strengthening of sustainable construction management best practices.
- Lead & support strengthening of project procedures, processes & systems on site.
- Identify challenges & provide recommendations to manage project risks to ensure smooth implementation of the project.
- Assisting in the identification of operational & financial project related issues & developing solutions to address these issues in an effective manner.
- Take the lead in conducting capacity needs assessment, developing & implementing training plans to strengthen the construction management capacity of the CSU, related MoPW resources & PMT as required.
- Provide key support in the implementation of project monitoring & preparation of reports & briefings to management, client & donor.
- Support, mentor, train, guide & develop the CSU staff to improve their capacity, capabilities & knowledge of construction management & site supervision role & requirements.
- Work with the IC Team Leader & senior colleagues to develop an overarching capacity development plan & training schedule across the full breadth of highway development & implementation needs within the THRCP.
- Support & advise to achieving maximum efficiency in the allocation of resources & skills within the program & projects.
- Works closely with Project Managers to identify potential project cost overruns, time delays or quality deficiencies & implementation of actions for rectification.
- Provides timely & accurate project tracking, analysis of outputs & reporting.
- Develop & drive a culture of excellence, continuous improvement & performance optimization across all projects in the program.
- Support establishment of performance objectives with appropriate measures for site supervision staff & other construction management related staff.