|Overview of CTG Global||CTG support and manage humanitarian projects in fragile and conflict-affected countries around the world. With past performance in 15 countries – from the Middle East, Africa, Europe, Asia and Central and South America – we offer a holistic fabric of project management, implementation and support. Skilled in emergency response to crises such as the Ebola outbreak in West Africa, we have the ability to act quickly (crisis response teams can be on the ground in 24 hours) and to establish structured operations in high-risk environments. CTG recruit and manage qualified, skilled teams with extensive experience operating in challenging conditions.|
|Overview of position|
Our client supports the successful implementation of its partners’ peace building, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Our client's mission is to serve people in need by expanding the ability of the UN, govt.'s and other partners to manage projects, infrastructure and procurement in a sustainable and efficient manner.
Working in some of the world’s most challenging environments, our client's vision is to advance sustainable implementation practices, always satisfying or surpassing our partners’ expectations.
With over 7,000 personnel spread across 80 countries, our client offers its partners the logistical, technical and management knowledge they need, wherever they need it.
A flexible structure and global reach means that we can quickly respond to our partners' needs, while offering the benefits of economies of scale.
With more than 20 years of experience in the country, the Our client's Afghanistan office supports national reconstruction and development efforts by providing projects with goods and services - from stand-alone, one-off solutions to long-term management and capacity development support. Based in Kabul, our client has regional offices in most parts of the country. The team implements projects in support of the Afghanistan National Development Strategy, in a wide range of sectors including infrastructure, education, environment and agriculture, and governance and rule of law.
Our client in Afghanistan is responsible for implementing a number of projects on behalf of the Govt. of Afghanistan and the aid donor community. The Afghanistan Operational Hub (AFOH) has been set up as an organizational mechanism to deliver a range of projects for which our client has been designated as the Implementing Agency/Consultant.
The Ministry of Public Works (MPW) of the Govt. of Afghanistan aims to construct Trans-Hindukosh Road Connectivity Project (THRCP) which has strategic importance for the movement of goods and freight between the northern provinces and capital of the country. This road has a significant role not only for the current traffic movement but also as part of a resource corridor which is already targeted as a priority to construct. The Govt. of Afghanistan intends to improve and upgrade the Bamyan to Baghlan Road as well as rehabilitate and maintain portions of the Salang highway in order to improve the Trans-Hindukush road connectivity in order to provide all year-round access and enhance local as well as international trade and regional integration. Furthermore, the improved roads will increase security by reducing the time to respond to local, regional, or national incidents, facilitate access to social services and provide new regional trade opportunities including agriculture and mining.
The Construction Supervision Specialist reports to the IC Team Leader. Working under the Ministry of Public Works (MPW) the Construction Supervision Specialist is responsible for supporting the govt. Construction Supervision Unit (CSU) on site to assure effective, efficient and professional delivery of the THRCP mandated program of projects to the expected quality, standard and timeline. They will be responsible for representing all aspects of construction supervision best practices and to support development of sustainable approaches to capacity building and institutional strengthening of the govt. CSU and wider central MPW related resources. They will be expected to perform the following duties and responsibilities, but not limited to:
- Provide site based construction management and supervision support for the implementation and closure of projects.
- Provide technical advice in relation to QA for delivery of the program and projects on site.
- Support, advise and guide on implementation of Construction Management Standards.
- Support and advise on scheduling of works, estimation of costs, budgeting, preparation of contracts, negotiation of contracts, contract disputes resolution, performance regime and monitoring of implementation.
- Support strengthening of sustainable construction management best practices.
- Lead and support strengthening of project procedures, processes and systems on site.
- Identify challenges and provide recommendations to manage project risks to ensure smooth implementation of the project.
- Assisting in the identification of operational and financial project related issues and developing solutions to address these issues in an effective manner.
- Take the lead in conducting capacity needs assessment, developing and implementing training plans to strengthen the construction management capacity of the CSU, related MoPW resources and PMT as required.
- Provide key support in the implementation of project monitoring and preparation of reports and briefings to management, client and donor.
- Support, mentor, train, guide and develop the CSU staff to improve their capacity, capabilities and knowledge of construction management and site supervision role and requirements.
- Work with the IC Team Leader and senior colleagues to develop an overarching capacity development plan and training schedule across the full breadth of highway development and implementation needs within the THRCP.
- Support and advise to achieving maximum efficiency in the allocation of resources and skills within the program and projects.
- Works closely with Project Managers to identify potential project-cost overruns, time delays or quality deficiencies and implementation of actions for rectification.
- Provides timely and accurate project tracking, analysis of outputs and reporting.
- Develop and drive a culture of excellence, continuous improvement and performance optimization across all projects in the program.
- Support establishment of performance objectives with appropriate measures for site supervision staff and other construction management related staff.
The role reports to the IC Team Leader.
Master’s Degree or equivalent, preferably in Construction Management, Civil Engineering, Contract Management or related field.
First Level University Degree or equivalent with an additional 2 years of relevant experience may be accepted in lieu of the Master’s Degree requirement.
Minimum 5 years relevant experience in construction management of related works, particularly within construction and rehabilitation projects, 2 years of which at least using FIDIC contract modality.
Experience in conducting training on subjects related to construction management and site supervision activities.
Experience in implementation of World Bank or similar projects in infrastructure and rural rehabilitation considered an asset.
Previous work experience in similar rural rehabilitation and/or road construction field in Afghanistan or similar conflict/post-conflict environment is highly desirable.
Knowledge of UN rules and regulations, administrative and program practices is required.
Relevant certification in construction management a distinct advantage.
PRINCE 2 Foundation qualification is required and PRINCE 2 Practitioner level is desirable.
Fluency in English both written and verbal is required.
Ability to communicate in local languages (Dari/Pashto) will be an asset.
Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion.
Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others. For people managers only. Acts as positive leadership role model, motivates, directs and inspires others to succeed, utilizing appropriate leadership styles.
Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).
Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.
Open to change and flexible in a fast-paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.
Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving.
Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.
Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
For staff positions only, our client reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level than the advertised level of the post.
The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of our client.
This role does not have team management responsibility.
Ability to communicate in local languages (Dari/Pashto) will be an asset.