|CTG Overview||CTG stands for Committed To Good. With an ethical approach at the heart of all that we do, it is a description that makes us proud. Respect for the fundamental human rights of our staff, and those our staff encounter, is a cornerstone of our values. We strive for gender equality, inclusion and diversity, providing fair and equal opportunities for all. We take a zero tolerance approach to corruption and stay true to local labour laws and all local statutory requirements.|
In operation since 2006, today we are honoured to serve clients in 15 fragile and conflict-affected states assisting with disaster relief, peace building, humanitarian aid and development programmes through our specialised recruitment, HR management and operational services.
|Overview of position|
The SANDSIS project has been devised to support both Afghan authorities & the Italian development cooperation in defining & implementing national infrastructure projects included in the National & Regional Resources Corridors Program (NRRCP) of the Afghan govt. Specifically after approval of amendment number 7, support & technical assistance in 2 components:
- Continuation of TA to REMABAR-2 project.
- TA to the Afghan railway authority in the preparation & launch of the soft loan financed "Khaf to Herat railway project"
- Provide TA (Technical Assistance) & capacity building to the ARA design team during the review of the ARA outsourced railway design in all aspects of a railway alignment (horizontal geometry & vertical profiles), turnouts, crossings, switches, rails & track details, structural layers, geotechnical, design of railway super structures & other details besides conduct site visits to Herat province (if required).
- Facilitate the submission of the design package to our client for certification & provide / collect the clarifications to their queries / comments.
- Provides advice & information required for the design & maintenance of the rail road infrastructure by using surveying techniques, technical standards & design principles for the design, construction & maintenance of railway tracks & associated infrastructure.
- Be responsible for the review of engineering calculations, drawing details, specifications, quantities, cost estimates & bid packages.
- Develops the appropriate systems for ensuring efficiency of maintenance systems & improves alignment systems.
- Reviews & works on the development of the railway strategy & plan with the objective of improving railway operations & staff capacity implementation.
- Designs & reviews traffic facilitation measures & railway safety programs.
- Designs supplements detailed project report / concept reports & all design reports as available.
- Undertakes studies for adoption of common technical standards for railway & updates ARA systems & mechanisms according to COTIF rules, UIC & OSJD standards.
- Assists in the preparation of TORs, RFPs, etc. when deemed necessary.
- Advises on railway feasibility studies, planning & development & provides technical expertise needed on rail sector.
- Advises railway engineering matters & determines the scope & implementation stages.
- Develops conceptual level plans for the management of terminal & mainline operations.
- Advises on systems that are most suitable to the requirements for the development of the Afghan national railway system, taking into account the existing railway systems & adopting them effectively to the Afghan needs.
- Provides technical direction, on the job training & opportunities for technical growth & knowledge sharing to expand the technical capabilities of the ARA staff in technical areas, designing & surveying systems.
- Assist in coordinating design activities & meetings between design staff, subcontractors & client managers.
- Work with Project Managers & Sr. Rail Engineers to coordinate the design & management of projects involving transportation in railroad & transit facilities & property.
- Assisting in preparation of design documents for track work, including alignments, specifications, criteria & details.
- Supporting the Project Manager in all aspects of the project including negotiating extras, cost control, staffing & quality control.
- Assisting in preparation of proposals & contracts.
- A proper & IPMG certified standard design package for construction of the Khaf - Herat railway 4th segment 2nd phase (45 km) would be ready for launch of an ITB.
- The ARA design team would be capable of reviewing similar design packages for other ARA projects.
- Perform other duties as requested by CEO & Director General of ARA.
- The Railway Design Specialist (RDS) will work under the supervision of the TSP - Program Manager / Deputy Program Manager & will report to TSP - PM / DPM.
- The RDS is required to report on a biweekly, monthly & at the end of the assignment about the progress / status of the tasks & activities.
|Key competencies||The successful candidate should have the following skills, experience & qualifications:
- Master’s Degree in Transport Planning Management, Transport Economics, Transport / Road / Rail Engineering or equivalent qualifications, Ph.D. in relevant fields would be an added advantage.
- Minimum of 10 years working experience in the management of infrastructure in similar or higher capacity.
- Proven knowledge of current systems of train control & management including signalling, telecommunications & / or railway electrification system.
- Significant railway experience in railway construction projects, supervision, including signalling, control, electrification & telecommunications.
- Sound knowledge of network planning & management.
- Excellent experienced in the development & preparation of railway design criteria, signalling systems design.
- Strong time management & organisational skills with a proven ability to manage multiple tasks.
- Ability to work under pressure & within time constraints.
- Excellent communication & team working skills.
- Demonstrated experience in capacity development programs.
- Good team worker, capable of working effectively in a very challenging environment.
- Previous experience in underdeveloped, insecure or post conflict environments a plus.
Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve the project goal, solicits input by genuinely valuing others ideas & expertise, places team agenda before personal agenda, supports & acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position, shares credit for team accomplishments & accepts joint responsibility for teams shortcomings.
Qualified female candidates are encouraged to apply for this role.