|CTG Overview||CTG stands for Committed To Good. With an ethical approach at the heart of all that we do, it is a description that makes us proud. Respect for the fundamental human rights of our staff, and those our staff encounter, is a cornerstone of our values. We strive for gender equality, inclusion and diversity, providing fair and equal opportunities for all. We take a zero tolerance approach to corruption and stay true to local labour laws and all local statutory requirements.|
In operation since 2006, today we are honoured to serve clients in 15 fragile and conflict-affected states assisting with disaster relief, peace building, humanitarian aid and development programmes through our specialised recruitment, HR management and operational services.
|Overview of position|
- The fundamental mission of our client is to promote the rights of every child, everywhere, in everything the organization does, in programs, in advocacy & in operations. The equity strategy, emphasizing the most disadvantaged & excluded children & families, translates this commitment to children’s rights into action. For our client, equity means that all children have an opportunity to survive, develop & reach their full potential, without discrimination, bias or favoritism. To the degree that any child has an unequal chance in life in its social, political, economic, civic & cultural dimensions, her or his rights are violated. There is growing evidence that investing in the health, education & protection of a society’s most disadvantaged citizens, addressing inequity, not only will give all children the opportunity to fulfill their potential but also will lead to sustained growth & stability of countries. This is why the focus on equity is so vital. It accelerates progress towards realizing the human rights of all children, which is the universal mandate of our client, as outlined by the convention on the rights of the child, while also supporting the equitable development of nations.
- The FGOS in partnership with our client Somalia received funding from the German govt. through German Bank for Reconstruction (KFW) towards the project titled building resilient school communities in Somalia through basic education with the aim of working towards the improvement of education services in Jubaland (Lower Juba & Gedo) & Banadir.
- The overall objective of the project is to increase access to quality & affordable education services for the children in 69 target schools in Bandir & Jubaland. The project will involve, among others, rehabilitation of classrooms & toilets in 10 schools in Banadir & 56 schools in Jubaland.
- Our client requires the services of 1 Construction Officer to offer technical assistance & provide QA in the tendering evaluation, project monitoring & supervision phases of all construction works. The Construction Officers primary role will be to monitor the onsite construction activities & report back to our client's supply & education program section.
- The efficient & effective support of the Construction Officer is linked to the successful implementation & completion of construction activities in target schools. The successful fulfillment of this role will directly impact the establishment of high improved learning environment in 69 target schools across Banadir & Jubaland for the most marginalized & vulnerable children in the country. This in turn contributes to maintaining / enhancing the credibility & ability of our client to continue to provide program services to protect the rights of children, promote greater social equality to enable children to survive, develop & reach their full potential in society.
The Construction Officer will be based in Mogadishu & will divide time between the project sites. The Construction Officer will be expected to roam between all project sites to assist in the supervision of all program construction activities & rehabilitation works. In close consultation with the Project Coordinator, s / he will:
- Assist with the bidding & tender evaluations processes.
- Provide technical inputs by working closely with supply section, program sections & implementing partners to ensure that the bidding process, technical & financial evaluations, negotiations (if any) & contracts awarded are in accordance with our clients standards, rules & policy.
- Review & evaluate the technical & financial bids as requested in line with the instructions to bidder & evaluation criteria.
- During all stages of construction works be accountable for onsite project monitoring & reporting on a regular basis.
- Conduct mobilisation meetings for all projects & approve contractor’s workplan, staffing schedule & methodology.
- Organise formal onsite mobilisations with relevant stakeholders & ensure all project documentation & certifications are in place prior to the beginning of works.
- Conduct regular site inspections at all project sites ensuring work is being undertaken according to the drawings, standards, specifications, timeline & budget.
- Ensure monitoring of the construction work at critical stages & hold points.
- Monitor the overall works of all contractors (construction, supervision etc.) & ensure key deliverables, contract items & quality of workmanship is being met.
- To advise our client on any potential risks & propose corrective measures, regarding project timeline, project budget & quality of the works.
- Coordination of all construction & project related contracts.
- Ensure detailed records are kept according to our clients standards to contribute to the preparation of official reports (including donor reports), enabling real time tracking of construction progress.
- Organise overall project coordinating tools to ensure smooth implementation & delivery between the varying project contracts.
- Know in advance key dates, milestones & advise on any potential errors or risks in advance to ensure timely delivery of project.
- Evaluate the quality of construction works upon completion or at certain milestones & make recommendation for payments to be made to contractors or implementing partners.
- Ensure good working relations & communicate project status with contractors & stakeholders as directed.
- Ensure all parties are updated on project progress regularly.
- Undertake arrangements for visits to construction project sites for govt. & other stakeholders, which includes providing information & briefing on project activities & status.
- Communicate with local stakeholders on construction project details.
- Discuss recommended courses of action with the Project Coordinator.
- Report back to Project Coordinator any issues from the field including variation orders & advise accordingly.
- Following site visits prepare routine inspection reports documenting results of visits & project progress.
Maintain ongoing project monitoring & tracking tools including tables, reports, project tracking documents as required by our client & donors.
- Assist with drafting construction sections of donor, annual & other reports, as required by HQ & supply division.
- Provide updated information on program / project financial & administrative status for analysis & report purposes.
- Analyse construction program / project status & recommend appropriate adjustments.
- Prepare tables, graphs or other statistical data for technical review / monitoring purposes.
- The Construction Officer will report directly to the Project Coordinator whom in turn is supervised by the Chief of Supply & Logistics & the Chief of Education.
- The Construction Officer will work closely on a day to day basis with the Project Coordinator in collaboration with the education program, supply & logistics section.
- S / He will be expected to employ at all times good working relations with the Ministry of Education, Culture & Higher Education (MoECHE) Federal & MoE Jubaland, external contractors & other project stakeholders as required.
- The Construction Officer will contribute by providing technical & managerial support & oversight to the project especially for onsite supervision, management & monitoring of all rehabilitation & construction works.
|Key competencies||Required skills:
- Proficiency with AutoCAD (or drafting equivalent software), structural design software, MS Excel & Word required.
- Experience in working on similar school / education sector projects is highly desirable.
- At least 5 years’ experience working on construction projects in a project coordination capacity.
- Experience working in the Jubaland & Benadir context highly desirable.
- Ability to travel within Jubaland state & Banadir region is nonnegotiable.
- A high level of interpersonal, management skills, integrity & ability to work with complex teams.
- Proven ability to work under pressure & meet tight deadlines with minimum supervision.
- Diversity & inclusion.
- Working with people.
- Drive for results.
- Deciding & initiating action.
- Planning & organizing.
- Applying technical expertise.
- Following instructions & procedures.
This role has no team management responsibilities.