|CTG Overview||CTG stands for Committed To Good. With an ethical approach at the heart of all that we do, it is a description that makes us proud. Respect for the fundamental human rights of our staff, and those our staff encounter, is a cornerstone of our values. We strive for gender equality, inclusion and diversity, providing fair and equal opportunities for all. We take a zero tolerance approach to corruption and stay true to local labour laws and all local statutory requirements.|
In operation since 2006, today we are honoured to serve clients in 15 fragile and conflict-affected states assisting with disaster relief, peace building, humanitarian aid and development programmes through our specialised recruitment, HR management and operational services.
|Overview of position|
- Our client is an operational arm of the UN, supporting the successful implementation of its partners’ peace building, humanitarian & development projects around the world. Their mission is to help people build better lives & countries achieve sustainable development. Our client's areas of expertise cover infrastructure, procurement, project management, financial management & human resources.
Working with our client:
- Our client offers short & long term work opportunities in diverse & challenging environments across the globe. They are looking for creative, results focused professionals with skills in a range of disciplines.
- With over 4,000 personnel & approximately 7,000 personnel recruited on behalf of our client's partners spread across 80 countries, their workforce represents a wide range of nationalities & cultures. They promote a balanced, diverse workforce, a strength that helps us better understand & address our partners’ needs & continually strive to improve our gender balance through initiatives & policies that encourage recruitment of qualified female candidates.
Work life harmonization:
- Our client values its people & recognizes the importance of balancing professional & personal demands.
Background information – Somalia country office:
- Somalia is amid major new political & security developments that will offer a greater possibility for peace & security than the country has seen in over 20 years. The Federal Govt. of Somalia (FGS), established in 2012 & international community have driven a process of rebuilding of functioning govt. institutions & processes through Somalia’s peace building & state building priorities under the Somali Compact (2013 - 2016), based on the Busan “New Deal for Engagement in Fragile States” agreement. The Somalia National Development Plan (2017 - 2019), builds on this foundation laid by the Compact & sets the priorities for national recovery & development in full collaboration with national & regional govt's. A landmark electoral process in late 2016 & early 2017 resulted in a peaceful transfer of power to a new President & govt., in place since February & March 2017 respectively. The govt. has set out an ambitious agenda for its term (the period to 2021). At the London Somalia Conference in May 2017, a Security Pact was agreed by Somalia & the international community, which will allow for sustainable, long term security based on mutual accountability.
- Our client has had a solid in country presence in Somalia since 1994 implementing a wide range of projects & has contributed to the above development priorities of the country.
Background information - Job specific:
- Facilities Manager (FM) is required to manage, maintain, develop or enhance the following services under the existing MOU with UNSOS: general premises maintenance, cleaning; waste management, vector & vermin control; waste management & reprographic support & internet services. These services are all required to be monitored & maintained 24 / 7 / 365 to ensure the timely delivery & to standard quality services to our client's operations Somalia Country Office (SOCO).
- Reporting to Head of Support Services the Facilities Manager is to manage a location in the AAIA / UNSOS compound in Mogadishu with a team of up to 11 international personnel, 33 CTG consultants & 15 national personnel, all under the management of our client.
- FM requires having an in depth knowledge of the management & implementation of such services in camps operating within harsh, complex environments & the FM will be responsible for instituting best practices & maintaining these to ensure high quality services for quality control purposes.
- S / He will be interacting on a day to day basis with all International, CTG consultant & national team, comprised of Managers, Team Leaders etc, responsive & reactive to routine & special requests. S / He will ensure that the facility is managed to deliver the service activities concerned, making sure that all activities are managed within the tolerances & to the standards stipulated by our clients Head of Support Services.
- The FM will manage the material & equipment supply, goods ordered for maintenance among others & be required to liaise closely with our clients procurement team & internal security on a day to day basis.
- S / He will be required to monitor all of our clients undertakings, be responsive to our clients need & to be able to adapt & be flexible, to ensure appropriate services are provided within the regulatory envelope of security instructions & our clients policies to be delivered whilst having a comprehensive understanding of the environment in which our client is operating to ensure customer service is second to none.
Summary of functional responsibilities:
- Stakeholder management.
- Facilities management.
- Establish a solid & fluid working relationship at local level with clients, key stakeholders & end users.
- Alert the Head of Support Services on issues that may impact the achievement of the common cost recovery project outcomes.
- Manage daily operations & assess & solve operational needs through the implementation of the operational strategies & procedures established within the common cost recovery plan.
- Implement approved common cost recovery plans within tolerances set by the Head of Support Services.
- Develop & maintain facility maintenance plans & communicate to Head of Support Services any deviations from such plans.
- Manage the attainment of the agreed deliverable's, taking responsibility for overall progress & use of resources & initiating corrective action where & when necessary.
- Forecasting required resources to achieve required tasks.
- Manage & review product quality & ensure products are accepted.
- With the aim of reducing operating costs while increasing productivity, ensure that our client receives required services per MOU signed with UNSOS, avoid / eliminate any duplication of costs under the responsibility of UNSOS, implement SOP or advise on the development of new SOP’s or their adaption to the local context.
- Manage under the guidance of the Head of Support Services, all related activities connected with the implementation of the required facilities management services in the facilities under his / her responsibility, within the existing signed MOU with UNSOS. These may include any of the following services, but are not limited to the following:
- Facilities maintenance & repair.
- Maintain accurate site plans for buildings.
- Responsible of the access controls a safeguarding office, vehicles & accommodation keys.
- Responsible for the accommodation allocations to personnel & contractors, manage the billing & planning of accommodations.
- Responsible to ensure that all accommodations & equipment (air conditioners, furniture, accommodation appliances, etc.) are in a condition that reduce all potential health & safety risk.
- Produce accurate & up to date asset registers for the facilities.
- Produce & implement, as requested with the approval of the Head of Support Services, short term & / or long term ‘Planned Maintenance Program’ (PMP) including cost estimates.
- Ground maintenance including gardening & landscaping.
- Pest & vermin control.
- Outdoor cleaning.
- Maintenance of mechanical plant & equipment.
- WiFi & communications provision in coordination with the ICT Officer.
- Minor repairs or general handyman services upon request & any other tasks established in the technical agreement.
- Liaise with services providers & monitor (including the review of performance through Key Performance Indicators) the implementation of the contracts of external suppliers for the delivery of the above services &d advise on, & negotiate if required, the improvement of said contracts.
- Review budgets & keep record of payments.
- Follow the established management systems instructions & ensure that all organizational policy is complied with (organizational directives & administrative instructions).
- Provide timely & accurately to the Head of Support Services all the necessary information for the preparation of common services project reports & documentation.
- Ensure that payments to contractors are received on time.
- Regular & constant updates (may be written, or oral), addressing progress, risks & issues, maintaining the risk register up to date.
This role reports to the Head of Support Services.
- Advanced University Degree (Masters) in in Project Management, Business Administration & Engineering or related field OR A first level University degree (Bachelor’s Degree) with an additional 2 years of relevant experience will substitute the requirement for an Advanced Degree OR A Technical / Professional Diploma with an additional 3 years’ experience may be accepted in lieu of the Degree requirement.
- Official Facilities Management certification an advantage.
- PRINCE 2 Foundation certification will be an asset.
- A minimum of 5 years of relevant working experience in facilities management is required.
- Experience in managing / leading large teams, preferably in a diverse cultural environment is required.
- Good working knowledge of Gmail & internet or G-suite environment.
- Experience in a post conflict environment is required & experience in Somalia is an advantage.
- Excellent interpersonal & communication skills.
- Flexibility & adaptability to work under pressure & meet specific deadlines.
- Ability to work in a multicultural environment.
- Proven management & leadership skills appropriate to a large & diverse personnel.
- Knowledge of the UN system & familiarity with UN procedures is an advantage.
- The candidate must be fluent in written & spoken English.
Core values & principles:
- Understand & respect UN sustainability principles.
- Look for ways to embed UN sustainability principles in day to day facilities management.
- Seek opportunities to champion gender equality at work place.
- Understand & respect national ownership & capacity.
- Seek opportunities to recruit qualified local contractors.
- Accountability for results & the use of resources.
- Contribute to innovation & the adaptation of best practice standards of sustainability & quality.
The impact of results:
- The success of the project largely depends upon the FM's ability to effectively implement contracted services provided to SOCO in the AAIA / UNSOS compound, to deliver the standard of services required for common premises.
- As the maintenance of the camps & facilities will rely upon a number of external suppliers & UNSOS for its successful delivery, s / he is required to manage a range of activities from contractor, vendors to the quality standards required.
- Develops & implements sustainable business strategies, thinks long term & externally in order to positively shape the organization.
- Anticipates & perceives the impact & implications of future decisions & activities on other parts of the organization.
- Responds sensitively to differences & encourages others to do the same.
- Upholds organizational & ethical norms.
- Maintains high standards of trustworthiness.
- Role model for diversity & inclusion.
- Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit.
- Collaborates & supports the development of others. For people managers only: Acts as positive leadership role model, motivates, directs & inspires others to succeed, utilizing appropriate leadership styles.
- Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners & always puts the end beneficiary first.
- Builds & maintains strong external relationships & is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).
- Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self & / or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities & takes the initiative to act on them.
- Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.
- Open to change & flexible in a fast paced environment.
- Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements.
- Reflects on experiences & modifies own behavior.
- Performance is consistent, even under pressure.
- Always pursues continuous improvements.
- Evaluates data & courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions.
- Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks.
- Applies innovation & creativity to problem solving.
- Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise & open manner.
- Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings & needs of others.
- Actively listens & proactively shares knowledge.
- Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion & finding common ground.
- Promote a culture of knowledge & sharing in the office.
- Ability to advocate & suggest policy advice.
- Actively works towards continuing personal learning & development in one or more practice areas, acts on learning plan & applies newly acquired skills.
- Commitment to diversity.
- Conflict management experience or at least awareness.
- Goal oriented & results driven.
The FM is to manage a location in the AAIA / UNSOS compound in Mogadishu with a team of up to 11 international personnel, 33 CTG consultants & 15 national personnel, all under the management of our client.